Terms and Conditions
Campus Parking rules and regulations
The goal and objective for campus parking is to expedite the safe and orderly conduct of campus business and to provide parking facilities within the limits of available space.
Parking services at North Idaho College is a user- based system. Income derived from the sale of parking permits and from the collection of monetary penalties assessed under these rules and regulations is used for the administration, maintenance, and improvement of parking facilities.
This bulletin provides notice of regulations for parking vehicles on campus. Violation of any of these regulations is cause for a citation. Lack of familiarity with the regulations does not constitute a defense for failure to comply. It is the individual’s responsibility to learn the parking regulations and park their vehicle properly at all times.
Student and Employee Permits: All motor vehicles parking on the NIC campus (including W. Garden Ave. and College Dr.) between 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Friday must display a valid parking permit. Vehicles with handicap plates or placard, plus motorcycles do not require an NIC parking permit. Parking permits are NOT required after 5 p.m.
Parking Permits are transferrable by the permit owner to any vehicle they are operating. There is no price reduction when purchasing additional permits.
Permits are to be displayed from the rear view mirror, front of placard must be visible from the outside of the vehicle and are transferrable to any vehicle operated by the purchaser.
A permit does not guarantee you a parking space, only that you can legally park on campus. Permits are valid for an academic year beginning with the first day of each fall semester. Permits aren’t required for evening and summer classes.
A permit also includes access to services such as a jump start or vehicle unlock.
Visitor Passes: Visitor passes are required between 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Friday. Visitor passes are available from the Parking Services Office in the Student Union Bldg. and the Communications and Marketing Office in the Sherman Building. A visitor is defined as any person other than a student, staff, or faculty member of North Idaho College.
Metered Spaces: All vehicles whether they have a valid employee or student parking permit must pay for metered parking. Visitor permits and handicap plated – placard vehicles do not require payment. Maximum time allowed per payment is one hour.
Legal Parking Spaces: Responsibility for locating an appropriate designated parking space rests with the operator of the motor vehicle. Lack of a readily available parking space is not an excuse for violation of any parking regulation.
Towing: Any vehicle parked in violation of any regulation is subject to citation and/or towing at the expense of the owner/operator without warning.
Handicap Parking: Vehicles displaying either a state authorized handicap placard or plate do not require a parking permit.
Motorcycles: Motorcycles do not require an NIC parking permit.
The college does not assume responsibility for any motor vehicle or its contents while parked on college property.
- Parking Services is charged with the impartial enforcement of NIC parking regulations. Security officers have the authority to issue citations, control access to campus areas, and to have vehicles towed if necessary.
- Vehicles may be towed after five violations, not properly registered, abandoned, or improperly parked.
- Students with unpaid parking tickets may lose course registration privileges and/ or be placed on Academic Hold.
Fines are reduced by one half when paid within seven days except for handicap, fire lane/hydrant access and voided permit use violations.
• A $10 late fee will be added to the fine after 30 days.
• Parking Violation ........................................... $40
• Parking in a handicap space...................$141.50 (Enforced 24 hours)
• Parking in fire lane or
fire hydrant access ........................................ $40 (Enforced 24 hours)
• Displaying a permit that has been
reported lost or stolen ................................... $50
Tickets may not be excused or voided by anyone other than Parking/Security Services or the Parking Appeals Committee.
Parking Services may issue citations for the violations above as well as:
- Parking without permit tag clearly visible.
- Parking in a crosswalk or blocking a driveway.
- Parking in restricted area (Visitor, No Parking, Reserved, Loading, and Yellow zones).
- Parking in a Faculty/Staff parking space without a proper permit. (Handicap excluded)
- Illegally displaying another individual’s permit tag or voided permit while parking on campus.
- Occupying more than one parking space.
- Parking on the grass, double parked, and all other violations.
- Parking overnight without permission and/or permit.
- Parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant or fire lane access area.
- Parking in a handicap space (vehicle must Display handicap DMV placard or plate.)
- Parking in a metered space without payment – expired meter.
- Failure to comply with directions or instructions from parking or security personnel.
Purchase of permit that is not authorized (i.e. Student purchasing Resident Hall pass if not residing on campus, Employee purchasing a student permit)
Any person aggrieved by any finding, order, or determination of parking services or an NIC security officer, may file an appeal through the Parking Services Office and have their citation reviewed by the Parking Appeals Committee.
The appeal must be filed within seven days of the date of the citation. If an appeal is not filed within this time, the person is deemed to accept the ticket as valid.
An appeal is not allowed for a second violation of the same offense, and subsequent tickets for the violation will not be excused. The Parking Appeals Committee determinations and decisions are final.
- Review a campus map for proper areas to park.
- Arrive for class early.
- Speed limit on campus is 20 mph. Do not exceed the speed limit.
- Use caution around crosswalks and while parking and exiting parking spaces.
- When leaving your vehicle, make sure permit is visible, windows are shut, and doors locked.
- Pay tickets promptly and save money.
- Carpool, bicycle, or walk when possible.
- It’s simple, just don’t break the rules.
- Call NIC Security at (208) 769-3310 for assistance afterhours.
NIC Security (208) 769-3310 - 703 Military Dr.
Please visit www.nic.edu/security for information on annual security & fire reports, safety tips, crime statistics and much more.